Three little words.
But you will hear and see them often when visiting our school this year.
And why not?
Walkerville Public Schools has much to roar about!
Here are a few examples:
• A few months ago, our Band was awarded a Division 1 rating at the judged regional completion. This hadn’t happened in many years and this year – the Band has set its goals even higher. With new band director Mr. Sacks now part of the WPS school family, I have no doubt the Band will roar to new heights, Mr. Sacks is a graduate of the University of Michigan. He was active in the Maize & Blue Pep Band, the marching band, and several performance groups.
• We have added two new high school teachers to our professional team. Both bring great enthusiasm to our secondary wing as well as a depth of instructional experience. Please join me in welcoming Mrs. White and Mr. Patterson! Mrs. White will teach History & Government. Mr. Patterson will teach English Language Arts (ELA),
• We’re are building upon several initiatives we launched last year. One is the “MyOn Reading Program,” a Chrome-based software resource, which has been proven to increase reading levels as it connects books to every student’s interests and skill needs.
• We are still encouraging every secondary student to tap into the power of the Kahn Academy. This academic partner of ours is a premier online resource for helping students succeed on the SAT Test, the statewide test that determines the college a student may attend and if they are eligible for any scholarships and awards.
• We addressed two operational areas in our district that have given our school culture and student learning a boost. Thanks to the experience and insights of our department leaders, we evaluated and improved our transportation rules and procedures. We also took care and pride in making our food service offerings healthier and more appealing to students. Two new lunch support positions help increase our student support and make lunchtime more enjoyable (for everyone!).
THANK YOU for supporting our school and taking the time to read this.
I welcome your ideas and suggestions. E-mail me at email@example.com.
You can also connect with me on Twitter @SpsTom and on Linked In (Thomas M. Langdon, EdD). These channels give me more opportunities to post articles, quotes, and photos you might like.
So don’t forget!
We are Walkerville! Hear Us Roar!
Dr. Thomas M. Langdon
WPS Superintendent of Schools